Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Frustrations abound

There was no way that everything was going to go smoothly but we seem to have had more of our share. We were stopped by thunderstorms with streak lightening coming down, another day of riding through the desert at 105 degree which became physically dangerous by 2PM. Greg, Steve and I had been riding that day. We started taking one hour riding shifts with 2 hours rest but by 11AM we were down to 30 minutes riding at a time. I drank 24oz. of water every 30 minutes. It was not refreshing with my water heating to over 100 degrees.

Monday night we were finally out of the desert and ready to move when the RV backed into a sign damaging 3 bikes, mine included. At first, I didn't think anything was wrong. My first shift started at 4:30AM on Tuesday morning uphill and into the wind. Clementine seemed to be fine. I rode hard for an hour and changed with Steve. My next riding shift looked to be a beautiful stretch of road just the kind of road Clementine was built for. Uphill I was fine but I started downhill reached about 30mph and my bike started to wobble so bad I thought that I going to pitch right off. I finally got stopped and discovered that both wheels were out of true. Clementine was unridable. We put 4 riders on the road about drove ahead to Pueblo to find a bike shop. A mechanic at Bob's Bicycles got us all in running order again although Clementine to not 100%.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home